RRC-CMF: LSM 510 META
|Zeiss LSM 510 META Confocal Microscope|
• Location: MSB, Room E-330 (☎ 6-6441)
• Manufacturer: Carl Zeiss
• Model: LSM 510 META
• Year: 2004
• Reserve This Instrument
• Usage Fees
• LSM 510 META Guide (Sample)
• LSM 510 META Overview (Zeiss)
The Zeiss LSM 510 META confocal microscope is a versatile imaging system that is ideal for most standard fluorescent microscopy applications. As a confocal microscope, the instrument features a variable pinhole that can be controlled (via software) to restrict out-of-plane light, thereby collecting and resolving thin sections of fluorescent signals from a sample.
The so-called META detection module of the LSM 510 META can provide fast acquisition of image stacks with spectral information for each pixel. With its unique emission fingerprinting technique, it permits the clean separation of several, even spectrally overlapping, fluorescence signals of a specimen. The laser and configuration settings are suitable for fluorescence recovery after photobleaching (FRAP) experiments, Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) measurements, ratiometic imaging, and a number of time-course acquisition options.
|Laser Unit||Wavelength||Maximum Power||Status|
|Diode 405||405 nm||25 mW||ok|
|Argon||458, 477, 488, 514 nm||30 mW||ok|
|HeNe||543 nm||1 mW||ok|
|HeNe||633 nm||3 mW||ok|
|Magnification||Model Name||Immersion Type||NA||Working Distance|
1. Remove the protective cover from the LSM 510 META confocal microscope.
2. Press the main power switch to the ON position. This will turn on the laser cooling unit and the microscope system.
3. If fluorescence will be viewed using the microscope eyepieces, turn on the mercury lamp by pressing the power switch.
4. Push the power button on the main computer tower. Windows XP will begin the bootup process.
5. When prompted, enter the password (for user "administrator") to log on to the system. (Note: Advanced users will be provided this password upon request)
6. Start the LSM software (running in Expert Mode) and power on the desired lasers in the Laser Control window.
7. Position the specimen on the stage and begin imaging.
1. When finished with imaging, turn off all lasers in the Laser Control window of the LSM software. Exit the software and wait 3-5 minutes for the laser unit to complete the automated cooling cycle. (When fully cooled, the fans will stop and the room will become noticeably quiet.)
2. Log off and/or shut down Windows XP; the computer should automatically power off.
3. If it was in use, turn off the fluorescence illuminator (mercury lamp) by pressing the power switch.
4. Press the main power switch to the OFF position. This will fully turn off the laser cooling unit and the microscope system.
5. Carefully place the protective cover over the LSM 510 META confocal microscope. When leaving, be sure to collect all belongings and check that all doors are locked.