Revision as of 19:23, 10 April 2012 by Gadget
Environment & Recycling
- Catalog Choice - Free service for managing catalogs and reducing junk mail.
- fueleconomy.gov - Look up fuel economy information about a vehicle, fuel saving tips, etc.
- Ecofont - Free font for reducing ink and toner consumption by 20% or more.
- GreenPrint - Software tools for reducing paper, ink and toner consumption.
- http://www.pcsforschools.org/ - (Chicago location is near Belmont Ave. and Cicero Ave.)
- New Illinois law bans trashing old electronics - An ABC 7 news segment about updated electronics recycling law prohibiting certain common electronics such as computers, TVs, media players and other items from being disposed of as household waste.
- City of Chicago - Recycling
- City of Chicago - Household Chemicals & Computer Recycling Facility Overview
- Earth911.com - Find recycling centers and learn about recycling.
- RecycleBank - Gift cards and other rewards for recycling.
- UIC Office of Sustainability
- TerraCycle - Recycle items that are often not accepted in local recycling programs (e.g. candy/cookie/chip wrappers and bags, pens/pencils/highlighters/markers, plastic tape dispensers, plastic Solo® cups and more than 45 other types of products). Many of the recycling programs are sponsored by a manufacturer and include postage-paid shipping. Build up points and redeem them for gifts or for cash donations to your choice of charity and/or school.
Batteries & Compact Fluorescent Lamps
- Apple - Free and low cost recycling for iPods, cell phones and any brand of computer and monitor.
- Dell - Free computer and monitor recycling.
- Reconnect- Free residential computer equipment recycling. A partnership between Dell and Goodwill.
- Best Buy - Recycle all kinds of electronics.
- Cell For Cash - Free recycling (and maybe some money) for old cell phones.
- YouRenew.com - Cash for your used electronics.
- eCycle Cell Phones - The EPA's (Environmental Protection Agency) cell phone recycling page.
- UIC eWaste Recycling
- DonorsChoose.org - Online charity to help public schools in need of classroom materials.
- One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)
Information Security & Privacy
Avoiding Data Theft
- Consumer Reports: Debit card scams
- Consumer Reports: Three tips to avoid ATM skimmers
- Network World: Credit Card Skimming: How thieves can steal your card info without you knowing it
- FireGPG - Cool Firefox extension for using GnuPG to encrypt e-mails in GMail or other web pages.
- TrueCrypt - Free open-source encryption software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Online Security Tools
- https://browsercheck.qualys.com/ - BrowserCheck identifies known security issues in your web browser.
- https://issl.recurity.com/ - Test your iOS device (e.g. iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) for a serious security issue. If you can view the webpage without a security warning from your web browser, your device is vulnerable.
- AnnualCreditReport.com - Official free annual credit report direct from Experian, TransUnion and Equifax.
- OptOutPrescreen.com - Official website for opting out of prescreened credit and insurance offers.
- U.S. National Do Not Call Registry - Opt-out of telemarketing calls to your home and mobile phones.
- Panopticlick - Electronic Frontier Foundation's online tool for testing how trackable your web browser is.
- http://donottrack.us/ - Information and test page for the Do Not Track feature in major web browsers.
- DuckDuckGo - Web search engine that doesn't track users' search results.